Saturday, February 19, 2011

Theory

My interests reside in graphic arts and website design; these two practices seem to go hand in hand. Sensorial Design or communication through the senses plays an intricate role behind the development of a website and the graphic’s found within. I have only been working in this area for a year and a half and I am taking this class to better my skills and understanding of information design. The theory of communicating through the senses is positively in line with this profession. When I am creating a graphic for a page the elements behind that graphic are many. I have however never considered the work I am producing as purposely stimulating the senses (Jacobson). I have always produced graphics that have appealed to me, that have always been the translation of my interpretation. It is very difficult sometimes to take a message and convey that message’s meaning so that it is interpreted by everyone in the same way. My work has been up to this date been primarily visual senses related, a little auditory here and there.
My readings of the Sensorial Design theory were educational, from Jacobson’s comments such as all sensorial details must be coordinated, to the concluding paragraph in chapter eleven, this is not a conclusion as much as it is a beginning. We all read information design and interaction design are new disciplines and the knowledge about these subjects I feel will vary from designer to designer. The scope of these disciplines is broad, while some of us choose print and others electronic the fundamentals are closely related yet our experiences will be very different.
I short, I am eager to learn more and experience my trials and errors.

1 comment:

  1. I like your page, it is interesting with the earth in the background and the white type on the dark background is readable. I might make one suggestion, the fonttype you use is alittle too chucky for easy reading. I would suggest going with a thinner serif, even if you don't like Times New Roman, there are others that work just as well.
    Great Job Jonathan!

    ReplyDelete