Wednesday, January 19, 2011

What is Information Design

I am taking this class because I am very interested in the presentation of data. How is information conveyed to an intended audience. I feel information design is the elements of gathering data and then presenting that data. I think by nature the first thought about information design is databases, right. Gather the data and then arrange the data in a manner that will allow easy access.
I am probably on the right track and as we read more, learn and communicate my answer to this question will be a little more indepth.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with most of what you say however I believe that the difference with information design is in the presenting of the data; it is presented in a visual way as opposed to just presenting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell from your post that you set out to share your definition of information design and that was accomplished.
    You stated your first tendency is toward the data and database aspect of ID. I find that very interesting, as my mind tends to the visual aspect of it - like restroom signs or life-preserver instructions on an airplane. It is always nice to see diverse perspectives. I look forward to seeing some of your data-driven work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jonathan,

    Your concept is right to the point, easy to understand. I think you are more incline to simplicity than anything else which is good, the mission of Information Designers is to deliver the proper information to the right people in a timely manner. You are on the right track.

    Best

    ReplyDelete
  4. I immediately thought of Amazon.com when you talked about databases. They take reviews ratings, comparisons, and usage statistics from millions of users and give that information back to each individual user. They probably aren't the most visual at giving the information but they do get the point across.

    ReplyDelete